Maths Mate Problem Solving

Due Date : 18th November 2011, Week 6
Question 24
Prediction: I predict that this question is going to be about using multiplication to find the missing numbers in an equation.
Clarify: There was nothing to clarify.
Big Question: What will be the missing numbers in the equation using my multiplication skills?
Solve: I solved this question by using the given numbers to help me solve the problem. My original equation was          2 _ 6 x 3 = _ 3 _. I first did 6 x 3 which gave me 18. I carried the one and and had to solve the equation 1 x X = 13. I solved it and got 4. Next, I carried the one and solved 2 x 3 + 1.  My result was 7.  So my end equation was 246 x 3 = 738.
Summary: This question was straight forward because my prediction was correct. The question was clear as there was nothing to clarify. The big question for this problem was to find out the missing numbers that would fit into the the equation. I solved it by using the given numbers to help me solve this problem. My final equation or my answer was 246 x 3 = 738. The strategies I used were working backwards and writing an equation.

Due Date : 11th November 2011, Week 5
Question 24
Prediction: I predict that this question is going to be about use multiplication skills to find out the missing numbers.
Clarify: There wasn’t anything to clarify.
Big Question: Using my multiplication skills, what will be the missing numbers in the equation?
Solve: I solved this question by looking at the given numbers and tried to deal with them. My problem to solve was              1 _ 9          I started with the 9 x 6 which gave me 54 and carried the five. I used
————————————————————————————————————————————————– _x___6_
—————————————————————————————————————————————————–_  5  _
my knowledge of factors and primes to find out the missing number was 5. Then it was 5 x 6 + 5 = 35. I carried the 3 and then worked out the two given numbers which were 6 x 1. I added 3 to the total which gave me 9.  My final result was  159 x 6 = 954.
Summary: During the time of this problem, I found out that my prediction was correct. The question was clear as there was nothing to clarify. The big question was to find out using my multiplication skills, the missing numbers in the equation. I solved it by using the known values to help me find the unknown vales. I used the strategies of working backwards and writing an equation. The result I got was 159 x 6 = 954.

Due Date: 4th November 2011, Week 4
Question 24
Prediction: I predict that this question is going to be about finding the values of two unknown values to find the certain costs of items.
Big Question: What will the unknown values be to find out the costs of one book?
Solve: To solve this question, I used my algebra skills. I set two equations (as there two unknowns). They were X + Y = $45 and then X x 2 + Y = $85.  The X is 2 books and the Y is a paint pad. So now, you have two equations, equation no. 1 which is X + Y = $45 and equation no. 2 which is X x 2 + Y = $85. We simplify the second equation so it is 2X + Y = $85. When you have  two unknown values in two equations, you take the equations away from each other. So, it is equation no.1 minus equation no.2 but the whole of the first equation (because it ha less values than equation no.2)  becomes negative. You then get 2X + Y = $85 – 2X – X = X,  Y – Y = nothing and $85 – $45 = $40. So to find the value of the books, you subtract the two equations, making the smaller equation negative. So, once you have
-X – Y = -$45
subtracted the X’s, Y’s and total’s, you get X = $40.
We have now found out what two books are but we were originally asked to find out what the cost of one book is. So we divide the 40 by two which gives you 20. Your formula for the books is 1 book = $20. Now we have to find out what the paint pad costs. This is simple algebra and all we have got to do is 2 x 40 + Y = $85
80 + Y $85
Y = $85 – $80 = $5.    So the cost of the paint pad is $5. You can check that with the first equation to make sure you are correct.
Summary: My prediction to this question was turning out to be very true as I predicted very correctly. The question was clear as there was nothing to clarify. My big question was to find out what the unknown costs of the books and paint pads. I solved this question using my algebra skills. I found out that the costs of 2 books were $40 so to find the cost of one book was simply to divide the $40 by 2. As my final result, I got 1 book = $20.

Due Date: 28th October 2011, Week 3
Question 23
Prediction: I predict that this question is going to be about inserting the correct numbers according to a specific rule.
Big Question: What numbers (according to a specific rule) would go into the number squares?
Solve: I solved this question by looking at the given numbers and worked my way from there. I added the given numbers to give 27.  I worked backwards and wrote an equation. For my first row, I got 12, 4, 11, my second row, 8, 9, 10, and in my last row, I got 7, 14, 6.
Summary: My solution for the question was going on course as I predicted my question correctly. The question was clear as there was nothing to clarify. My big question was to find out what numbers would fit correctly so when added, they would get the same total. I solved it by looking at the given numbers and working backwards from there. I wrote an equation to make sure that each line of numbers has the same sum total. The numbers I got in the first row are 12, 4, 11, the second row, 8, 9, 10, and my third row I got 7, 14 and 6.

Due Date: 21st October 2011, Week 2
Question 24
Prediction: I predict that this question is going to be about finding the names of famous stories to find the data to create a total.
Clarify: I had to search some of the story titles up to find out what the missing number of the story is.
Big Question: What number of  famous stories will help make a total?
Solve: I solved my question by going through the story titles. I straight away answered the question about Snow White and 7 dwarfs, Around the World In 80 Days, 101 Dalmatians and Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves. I had to do some research on the 39 Steps and Catch 22. In the end I got 279. I worked backwards and breaking the problem into smaller parts to solve this problem.
Summary: My prediction was going to plan as I predicted correctly, to find the correct story titles to get a certain total. I had to clarify some of the titles as they were unknown to me. I solved it by answering the story titles and then getting a total of 279. I used the strategies working backwards and breaking it onto smaller parts.

Due Date: 14th October 2011, Week 1
Question 23
Prediction: I predict that this question is going to be about filling the correct numbers into the squares.
Clarify: There was nothing to clarify.
Big Question: What numbers will fit into the squares so that every column and row have the same total when added together?
Solve: I solved this question by looking at a diagonal line of numbers. The sum of those numbers was 18. I used the strategies breaking the problem into smaller parts and writing an equation. In the first row, I got 11 and 3, the second row 5 and 7, and in the last row 9.
Summary: I predicted correctly about this question, guessing it was about finding numbers to place into the number squares. The question was clear as there was nothing to clarify. My big question was answered correctly as it was to find the missing numbers in the squares so when the rows and columns would be added up, they would have the same total. My goal was to make every row and column have a sum of 18. I solved it by simply looking at the numbers given and breaking each column and row into smaller parts. Another srategy I used was to write an equation to make sure that each row and column would have the same sum total. For my first row of numbers I got 11 and 3, my second row 5 and 7, and my last row 9.

Due Date: 9th September 2011, Week 8
Question23
Prediction: I predict that this question will be about working backwards and writing and equation to find an answer.
Clarify: There was nothing to clarify.
Big Question: What will be the total after following the steps provided?
Solve: I solved this question by working backwards. I use the number 12 and multiply it by 3 (as I do the inverse of what I am told to do), then I divide it by four. That process leads me to the answer of 9 (12×3 is 36, then 36 divided 4 is 9).
Summary: I predicted that this question will be about working backwards and writing an equation to find an answer and I was right. The question was clear as there was nothing to clarify. My big question was to find the total after the steps provided? I solved the question by multiplying twelve by three (36) and then dividing it by four (9). My answer was 9 and the steps I used were to work backwards and to write an equation.
Due Date: 2nd September 2011, Week  7
Question 24
Prediction: I predicted that this question is going to be about using strategies to find what each bead stands for.
Clarify: There was nothing to clarify.
Big Question: What will each bead stand for in the question?
Solve: I solved the question by guessing factors of the given numbers. I started off with 22.  I figured out that the dark shade stands for 2, the medium values at 5 and the white shade values at 6. I worked my way up and got to the final result. I got 23 as my answer. The strategy I used was working backwards and guessing, checking and improving to solve the question.
Summary: I predicted that this question was going to be about finding the meaning of each shade of beads. I predicted correctly as the question was exactly that. The question was clear as there was nothing to clarify. The big question was to find the value of each shade of bead. I solved the question by randomly thinking of the factors of 22. I then worked my way up and got to my answer. The darkest shade of colour valued the number 2, the medium shade valuing 5 and the lightest shade is valued to 6. My answer was 23.

Due Date: 26th August 2011, Week 6
Question 22
Prediction: I predict that this question will be about finding the missing digits in the equation.
Clarify: There is nothing to clarify.
Big Question: What will be the missing number in the sum?
Solve: I simply solved this question by subtracting the given numbers. They were 96-51-16. The result I got was 29.  I used the strategies working backwards and writing an equation.
Summary: I predicted that this question was going to be about finding the missing number in the equation. I headed down the right track as I predicted correctly. The question was clear as there was nothing to clarify. The big question was to find out if what number would go into the spaces correctly. I solved it be subtracting the given numbers to find the total. The strategies I used were to work backwards and to write an equation. The answer I got was 29.

Due Date:19th August 2011, Week 5
Question 23
Prediction: I predict that this this question will be about using the four operations mentally and working backwards.
Clarify: There was nothing to clarify in this question
Big Question: What will be the number in the total after using the given operations?
Solve: I solved this question by thinking of a number between 1 and 20. I worked backwards until I got the correct number.
Summary: I predicted that this question was about working mentally and working backwards. The question was clear as there was nothing to clarify. The big question was to find the number that fits in with the question. I solved it by working backwards, guessing, checking and improving and writing an equation. The answer I got was 16.

Due Date: 13th August 2011, Week 4
Question23
Prediction: I predicted that this question is about finding the numbers that go into the certain places.
Clarify: There was nothing to clarify in this question.
Big Question: What numbers will fit in the places?

Solve: I looked at the number given, which was 2. I then just mixed and matched until I got the correct combination of numbers.
Summary: I predicted that this question was about putting the correct numbers into the places.  The question was clear as there was nothing to clarify. The big question was to find the correct combination of numbers to put into the places. I solved it by using given information and mixing and matching the numbers.

Due Date: 6th August 2011, Week 3
Question 22
Predict: I predicted that this question is going to be about finding patterns and using simple adding.
Clarify: I found everything clear in this question.
Big Question:  What three consecutive numbers add up to 96?
Solve: I started with three numbers that I thought that approximately added up to 100. I then subtracted until I got the correct numbers. The answer I got was 31, 32 and 33.
Summary: I predicted that this question was about looking for patterns and using  adding skills. The question was very clear so there was nothing to clarify.  My big question was what three consecutive numbers to get the total of 96. The strategy I used was Guess, Check and Improve. The answers I got were 31,32+33.
Question 23
Predict: I predict that this question is about putting certain numbers into the places given in a special order.
Clarify: Can the numbers be written backwards?
Big Question: What numbers will fit into the certain places?
Solve: I randomly selected a number and worked backwards.  I kept matching the numbers until I got the correct match of numbers.
Summary: I predicted that this question would be about putting given numbers and matching them together. My clarification was if we were allowed to put them on the chart backwards. I soon found out that you didn’t have to because did not include using the numbers backwards. The big question was what numbers would fit together. I solved the question by working backwards and guessing, checking and improving.
Question 24
Prediction: I predict that this question is going to be about using chance and data to show information.
Clarify: I found everything clear in the question.
Big Question: Who played Argentina in the third round robin?
Solve: I looked at where Argentina was standing. I looked at how many rounds were won and lost.  Argentina were the only team to win two games. I used that information to get my information. My final result was Greece.
Summary: I predicted that this question was going to be about using data to find the answer. The question was very clear as there was nothing to clarify. I solved the problem by using the given information. My answer was Greece.